The Research Survey Sweepstakes
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MAKING A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. MANY WILL ENTER, FEW WILL WIN. The Research Survey Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is sponsored by Barnes & Noble College, 120 Mountainview Blvd., Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 (“Sponsor”).
- ELIGIBILITY: Open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, who (a) are at least eighteen (18) years of age or the age of majority, whichever is older, in their respective states of permanent residence at time of entry and, if a minor under the laws of their state of permanent residence, have parent or guardian permission to enter the Sweepstakes under the terms of these Official Rules and (b) are a currently enrolled full-time or part-time student at a college or university where Sponsor operates the campus bookstore (each an “Institution”). The Sweepstakes is not open to the general public. Any entries not eligible for any reason will be disqualified from winning the prize. Employees of Sponsor, and its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies involved in this Sweepstakes, and their immediate family members (parent, child, spouse, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and/or those living in the same household of each, whether or not related, are not eligible to participate in or win the Sweepstakes. Void where prohibited by law. All applicable federal, state and local laws apply.
- HOW TO ENTER: The Sweepstakes begins at 6:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on March 1, 2022 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET on March 31, 2022 (the “Entry Period”). “Entrants” may enter the Sweepstakes through either of the following methods:
- SURVEY – During the Entry Period, Entrants will receive an email from the Sponsor or Institution that will ask Entrants to click through the text and visit the Sweepstakes “Website” (exact URL hyperlink to be provided within the email text). At the Website, Entrants must complete a survey and the Sweepstakes registration form. Entrants must enter their name and e-mail address in order to enter the Sweepstakes. Upon submitting a completed survey and Sweepstakes registration form, the Entrant will receive one (1) Sweepstakes entry.
- NO SURVEY – During the Entry Period, Entrants will receive an email from the Sponsor or Institution that will ask Entrants to click through the text and visit the Website. At the Website, Entrants will receive instructions on how to complete a survey. If Entrant chooses not to complete the survey, Entrant will receive instructions on how to complete the Sweepstakes registration form. Entrants must enter their name and e-mail address in the registration form order to enter the Sweepstakes. Upon submitting a completed Sweepstakes registration form, the Entrant will receive one (1) Sweepstakes entry.
Information required for entry includes your first and last name and e-mail address (collectively, “Entry Information”). Your Entry Information will constitute one (1) entry (“Entry”) into the Sweepstakes. All Entries become the property of the Sponsor. Your Entry will not be acknowledged or returned. Entrant acknowledges that entrant will not receive any compensation of any kind for its Entry. Entries must be received by the termination of the Entry Period to be eligible. One (1) grand prize winner will be chosen at the end of the Entry Period. Limit one (1) entry per unique email address and per person during the Entry Period. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means are void, as are entries that are illegible, garbled, incomplete or that contain errors. Normal time, toll, connection and usage rates, if any, charged by your Internet service provider will apply. All entries become the property of the Sponsor. No other entry method will be accepted.
- WINNER SELECTION/NOTIFICATION/VALIDATION: One (1) grand prize winner will be selected by Sponsor in the Sweepstakes in accordance with the offer (by random drawing from among all eligible entries received during the Entry Period). Proof of transmission is not proof of receipt. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for each Sweepstakes and determines the order of receipt of entries. All decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding with respect to all matters related to the Sweepstakes. The potential winners may be asked for an eligible email address as a requirement of entry and will then be notified by email and may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability/Publicity (where legal) form within seven (7) days of date of attempted notification. If winner is a minor, all documents must be signed by parent or legal guardian. Noncompliance within this time period, with these Official Rules or the return of any prize/prize notification may result in disqualification and, at Sponsor’s discretion, an alternate potential winner may be selected by Sponsor at random or based upon Sponsor’s records of the next fastest entry received, in accordance with the offer. Prizes will be fulfilled approximately 2-4 weeks after winner validation. Any winner later determined to be ineligible may be required to return his/her prize. Any taxes on prize are the responsibility of the winner. The Affidavit sent to a potential winner may require that the winner provide his/her Social Security Number, which will be used solely for tax reporting purposes. The winner must note that the value of his/her accepted prize is taxable as income and an IRS Form 1099 will be filed in the name of the winner for the value of the prize.
- PRIZE AND ODDS: The prize mentioned in the Sweepstakes offer, one (1) $50 Visa® gift card (with an estimated retail value of $50), is the only prize available. No transfer, substitution or cash redemption will be awarded in lieu of stated prize except by Sponsor who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portion thereof) of comparable or greater value, in its sole discretion, for any reason. All prize details are at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Odds of winning depend on the total number of entries received throughout the Entry Period.No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded.
- GENERAL RULES; LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By participating, entrant (i) agrees to release and hold Sponsor, and each of their parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”), harmless against any and all claims and liability arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, and to the extent permitted by law, out of participation in the Sweepstakes or misuse, nonuse or use of any prize (including any travel or activity related thereto) or injuries, death or losses or damages, including claims based on publicity rights, defamation, and/or invasion of privacy, that may arise from participating in this Sweepstakes or its related activities or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of, or any harm resulting from the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize; (ii) waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages, attorneys’ fees or any damages other than actual out-of-pocket costs incurred to enter; and (iii) agrees to be bound by these Official Rules. The winners also acknowledge that Released Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to their prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Sweepstakes. Released Parties are not responsible for incomplete, lost, late, damaged, inaccurate, illegible, misdirected, garbled, delayed or undelivered entries or referrals; or for technical hardware or software malfunctions or failures of any kind, lost, unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission, which may limit an individual’s ability to participate. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to cancel, suspend or modify the Sweepstakes, or to disqualify any implicated entrant(s), (and their entries) if any fraud, virus, actions by entrants, technical or other error or problem, or any other occurrence corrupts or affects the administration, integrity, security, or proper play of the Sweepstakes, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In the event of cancellation, Sponsor reserves the right, at their sole discretion, to award the prize in a random drawing from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received up to the time of the event or action warranting such cancellation. In the event this Sweepstakes is cancelled prior to the stated end date, a notice will be posted at http://insights.bncollege.com. CAUTION: Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such entrant to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. In the event of such a dispute or in the event a potential winner entered via internet and a dispute arises regarding a specific individual entitled to receive a prize, entries made by internet will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry and any damage made to the web site will also be the responsibility of the authorized account holder. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Released Parties are not responsible for any technical, mechanical, printing, typographical, human or other error relating to or in connection with the Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, errors which may occur in the administration of the Sweepstakes, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prize or in any Sweepstakes-related materials; or for any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Sweepstakes.
- WINNER’S NAME; PUBLICITY: To receive the names of the winners (first name, last name initial, city) when available, please send a self-addressed, stamped business size envelope no later than April 14, 2022 to: Barnes & Noble College, “RESEARCH SURVEY” Sweepstakes Winners List Request, 120 Mountain View Blvd., Basking Ridge, NJ 07920. By accepting a prize, where permitted by law, the winners grant to the Sponsor and its designees the right to print, publish, broadcast and use worldwide in all media without limitation at any time their full name, portrait, pictures, voice, likeness, and/or biographical information (“Winner Information”) for advertising, trade, marketing, and promotional purposes without further payment or additional consideration, and without review, approval or notification. Each winner accepts and acknowledges that neither Sponsor nor its designees shall be obligated to use his/her Winner Information and that Sponsor and its designees, in their sole discretion, shall have the right to refrain from using such Winner Information. Neither Sponsor nor its designees shall incur any liability whatsoever to the extent they choose to refrain from any exploitation of any of their rights herein.
- GOVERNING LAW: This Sweepstakes and the rights and obligations of the Sponsor and participants will be governed by and controlled by the laws of the State of New Jersey, applicable to contracts made and performed therein without reference to the applicable choice of law provisions. All actions, proceedings, or litigation relating hereto will be instituted and prosecuted solely within the state and federal courts of the State of New Jersey. The parties consent to the jurisdiction of the state courts of New Jersey and federal courts located with such state with respect to any action, dispute, or other matter pertaining to or arising out of this Sweepstakes.
BY ENTERING THE SWEEPSTAKES, ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE SWEEPSTAKES, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY) NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) ENTRANTS’ REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF.
- NO IMPLIED ENDORSEMENT: The names of individuals, groups, companies, products and services mentioned herein, and any corresponding likenesses, logos and images thereof reproduced herein, have been used for identification purposes only and may be the copyrighted properties and trademarks of their respective owners. The mention of any individual, group or company, or the inclusion of a product or service as the prize, does not imply any association with or endorsement by such individual, group or company or the manufacturer or distributor of such product or service and, except as otherwise indicated, no association or endorsement is intended or should be inferred.
- SEVERABILITY: The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision of the Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, the other provisions will remain in effect and will be construed as if the invalid or unenforceable provision were not contained herein.
- MISCELLANEOUS: These Official Rules contain the full and complete understanding with respect to the Sweepstakes and supersede all prior and contemporaneous agreements, representations and understandings, whether oral or written. The headings herein are for convenience only, do not constitute a part of these Official Rules, and shall not be deemed to limit or affect any of the provisions hereof. No amendment to, or waiver of, any provision of these Official Rules shall be effective unless in writing and signed by Sponsor. The waiver by Sponsor of any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of any other provision herein. The rights and obligations hereunder may not be assigned by Entrant, whether by operation of law or otherwise, without the prior written consent of Sponsor, and any attempted assignment in violation of the foregoing shall be null and void. These Official Rules shall be binding upon, and inure to the benefit of, the permitted successors and assigns of Sponsor, Administrator, and Entrant.
© 2022 Barnes & Noble Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.